Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Should I or shouldn't I?

ynsaen opened this issue on Dec 24, 2004 ยท 104 posts

nomuse posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 3:26 PM

Quick thoughts.... Right now comments, let alone lengthly comments, look out of place in the galleries. The nail that sticks out tends to get hammered down -- which translates to those people who attempt a complete an honest critique getting a lot of flack in return. What we need is for critiques to not stand out. I think I've seen a little more lately -- which might be more due to me leaving the main galleries alone and concentrating more on the SF and historicals, wherein are artists more used to the critical proccess. The other is that critiques are even harder to digest then they are to make. I'd reccommend finding one or two strong, clearly identifiable problems, with fairly straightforward solutions. It's easier to swallow a couple bitter pills then to sit down at a bowfull of them. Of course not all artists or images will have such. I can think of one who came to chat, for instance, who did not understand perspective in the most basic way. She could not be helped with a "try a lighter background and turn on anti-aliasing" approach. In the perfect pedagogical manner, of course, one points at the problem and leads the student to find their own solution. When I critique I am usually careful to phrase something like "..I have seen other artists solve this with..." or "...if this were my image I might....but I don't know if this would work for you."