Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If I make A Character Do I own The Copyright??

zippyozzy opened this issue on Dec 31, 2004 ยท 35 posts

svdl posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 10:17 AM

I'd advise downloading a character from freestuff here and examine what's in the package. You'll find texture maps and INJ/REM poses. The texture maps and INJ/REM poses are the intellectual property of their makers, and they can sell them (that's also what you find in the Marketplace). So if you make your own texture maps and INJ/REM poses, you CAN sell them. If you use a modeling program such as Blender or Wings3D, you can create your own clothes from scratch. Those clothes are yours too, and you can sell them. If you use a modeling program, then import a figure mesh like a P4 character (best way is to load the P4 character in Poser, uncheck all inverse kinematics, zero the pose and zero hip/body translations, then export as .OBJ), and create clothing by slicing off parts and scaling, then you cannot distribute that cloth "as is". You can use RTEncoder to encode your cloth with the original figure .OBJ file, and then you can distribute the encoded file (.rte extension) Objaction Mover does the same thing as RTEncoder, but you are not allowed to sell objects encoded with Objaction Mover. You may distribute them as freestuff however. WARNING: DO NOT USE RTENCODER OR OBJACTION MOVER WITH DAZ FIGURES! Daz does NOT allow distribution of their figures in ANY way, not even encoded like this. For myself, I prefer working the safe way. I model my clothes around an imported figure in 3D Studio Max, so those meshes are absolutely and completely my own and I can do with them what I want. One of the ways to get a reputation as a merchant is distributing freestuff. If you put up some good items for free download, people are more likely to buy one of your commercial products, since they already know what quality to expect. Oh, about your rendered images: the copyright is yours and yours only.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff