Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 5 Render "Hangs"

Shardz opened this issue on Jan 11, 2005 ยท 34 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 11 January 2005 at 6:37 PM

can you honestly say that Vue renders a scene faster by several orders of magnitude? One order of magnitude is 10x as fast. I assume this is an exaggeration.

This depends upon the particular scene in question. The more complicated the scene, the more noticeable that the render time difference will be. It's been a long time since I've intentionally made a comparison on Vue vs. P5 rendering times on the same scene.

I have to say that even on simple scenes, there is a noticable time difference. For an "easy" scene -- perhaps 2 min. 30 sec. on P5 vs. < 1 min. in Vue. I'd have to try a scene in order to compare exact numbers. I am not at my personal computer, so I can't do that at the moment. But rest assured, there is a significant difference, time-wise.

In addition to which, one could say that the "orders of magnitude" assertion is valid -- whenever P5 freezes completely, and then Vue spits out the same scene: no muss/no fuss.

As for texturing issues in Vue vs. P5......Vue can't handle P5-specific materials (such as transparencies) -- but this has never been a problem for me. I simply substitute Vue materials on the objects in question. They often look better, anyway.

As for "not everything moving over", I am not certain what you are referring to. Do you mean objects? Textures? Some of the "not move over" problems have easy fixes. But that's a technical question for the Vue forum.

As for animation issues.....I am not the guy that you need to ask about that. I don't do animations, so I really can't help you there. Once again, I would suggest posting your questions in the Vue forum. There are lots of experts there -- far more knowledgable on the subject of animations than I am.

Can you give an example of two scenes exactly the same and the render times in both programs?

Perhaps later tonight. But it will be several hours (at least) before I will be able to do so.

I'll tell you what -- the first time that I was able to successfully render a scene in Vue, a scene that had always choked in P5: I was sold.

I think that you will be, too.

Something To Do At 3:00AM