Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The Poser Encyclopoedia Status Update - Jan 13 2005

gellenburg opened this issue on Jan 13, 2005 ยท 11 posts

gellenburg posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:54 PM

To ockham:

I admit the actual documentation leaves a lot to be desired. I'm working on that. ;-) Believe me, I can understand that the WiKi concept and paradigm are ... unless you've worked with it ... unlike most things on the web.

The concept, however, is quite simple. I'll see if I can adequately do it justice. ;-)

With a WiKi, think about it this way - every page that could possibly ever exist actually does. For example, visit any one of these links:

Link 1

Link 2

Take a look at the URLs. http://wiki.my3dart.com/index.php/This_Page_Does_Not_Exist and http://wiki.my3dart.com/index.php/This_Page_Also_Does_Not_Exist .

(Obviously though if someone edits the page, adds content, and then saves it then the page will exist at that point. :-)

The second part of WiKi's are the linking capabilities. For example, if I wanted to create a new link to [[this page]] then "this page" would automatically be converted into a link to a page called "This_page". But, since "This_page" doesn't exist yet, clicking on the link will allow you to edit it, and then save it.

There are other features like the creation of categories on the fly. Want to create a new category for a page? Simply key in [[Category:My new category]] and magically it's created.

There's a lot more to it, but those are the basics. The Sandbox is the perfect place to play around. You can look at the history of all the edits to the page, rollback any previous edits.

The bottom line is absolutely no one can break a WiKi. It can't happen.

Ok, maybe technically but it'd be pretty darn hard to do it and even if it happened any problems could easily be backed out and restored.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)