Forum: Animation

Subject: Appleseed - animated movie

hipchick opened this issue on Jan 18, 2005 ยท 15 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Wed, 19 January 2005 at 3:39 PM

"To tell the truth I don'w want to put Poser's capabilities in doubt but if I see good animations in it and it was done in Poser they either used good mocap actors or they spent 3 or 4 times as much time tweaking their animations than you would normally take in any other program.." I don't know about that. I find Poser extremely easy to animate with. Dealing with morphs and keyframing expressions is quite simple. It has IK, It's dopesheet is no less detailed than what's in the "big apps" (I also animate with 3dsmax v6), and it uses the same spline curve system for interpolating keyframes. It IS lacking in a few workflow-related areas, but overall, it's the same basic keyframe animation system you find in most apps. Poser's shortcomings in using it for high-end production is multi-fold: 1) It's renderer is quite slow (shadow map creation adds valuable time to each frame, and since it's a REYES renderer, raytracing is painfully slow). 2) It doesn't have network/distributed rendering capability natively, so it doesn't really fit seamlessly into a production pipeline. 3) No G-Buffer output channels, so it's virtually useless for compositing work and makes post-video production unnecessarily difficult. 4) It doesn't take advantage of hardware accelleration. 5) It's workflow also leaves lots to be desired (no multiple undo for instance). If future versions address these issues, you may see the overall professional outlook toward the application change dramatically for the better.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.