Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Fundementals of RayTrace Shadows: Infinite Lighting

Robo2010 opened this issue on Jan 26, 2005 ยท 42 posts

richardson posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 9:56 PM

Ahh, one of my favorite subjects/peeves..RayTrace Ronstuff discovered the scaling fix. We've since discovered that bumpmaps, dispacement, certain RayTrace settings and distant start/end (on spots)do not auto scale and have to be (10xed) after the scaling. RayTrace is a brutal shadowcaster. It has no blur radius like a shadowmap light. One pixel it's there...the next pixel, it"s not. It will punch through and cast an eyelash shadow, though. Even the strands of prop hair. Robo, #14...the best I see. If you are only using 1 RT infinite, the spotting should be gone. Cutting your shadow is the way to go. I even cut it down to 0.00001, just to use refract and reflect functions. Then use SM lights for shadows. Might as well set your map to 1024. Renderspeak This is wigged...Take your primary RT light (highlighted in parameter box) and use object>point at> head. Then readjust it to where you like it. Globals do not necessarily point at your figure spot on. imo, bias on RayTrace is a bandaid fix that sometimes works but mostly not. Make sure you don't have strange settings (like filtering) on in rendersettings. Smooth polys will help round her shoulders. And lastly, use the shadowcam...It's an incredible tool. All I've got. So far...#^(