Forum: Animation

Subject: Episode 5 "Sir Spandex" and new website, forum board

ajvelez opened this issue on Jan 24, 2005 ยท 9 posts

ajvelez posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 1:12 AM

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to check out my cartoon. I am not a legal expert, however I am a CPA, so here goes:

By submitting material to the site SONY gets to use my stuff for free in certain (promotional compilations, advertising of the site & their products) situations bla, bla, bla. However, Item C of the Audio Visual Submission Agreement states:

C - OWNERSHIP

You will retain ownership of the copyrights and all other rights in and to your Materials, subject to the non-exclusive rights granted to us under this Agreement. We will retain ownership of the copyrights to the compilations or other promotional items we may produce. You are free to grant similar rights to others, both during and after the term of this Agreement.

The promo comps are not sold, they are included free with certain product sales.

So, my answer is, no I don't give up the copyright of my material however I do grant SONY certain license to use my stuff in exchange for storing my files on their site.

Sorry to sound so stuffy, I deal with this legal/contract stuff everyday. I am trying to migrate into cartooning though. Thanks again!

AJ