Forum: Vue

Subject: Can I save Vue 4 objects as .obj?

Shiollie opened this issue on Jan 23, 2005 ยท 15 posts

jc posted Fri, 28 January 2005 at 1:05 AM

Been testing export of objects made in Vue 4 Pro from primitives, and exported in .OBJ format - with mixed (mostly failed) results. But i can pass on a few lessons: 1. Best to "Bake to polygons" before you export or you do boolean operations. 2. If you apply a custom material (one you made by opening your own texture file into a simple material), then scale (and maybe offset) it to fit your object, don't later drag your object in one of the views - the material will move on the object! (hard to believe huh?). If you "Bake to polys" first, or move your object by changing its coordinate numbers, the material will stick just fine. I'm still experimenting, but best results so far are with this workflow: Silo 3D (tesselate, since Vue works only with triangular polys) > UV Mapper Pro (save texture with "Swap Y&Z" feature turned on and be sure to use "Default" buttom before setting output parameters) > Vue 4 Pro > .OBJ export > (may need to apply original texture again). Most difficulty seems to be creating geometry all in Vue and trying to export it. Geometry made well in another 3D program and well UV Mapped seems to be less of a problem. Wish Vue had a "Swap Y&Z" option on export, like UV Mapper Pro does. None of my other 3D programs use Z for vertical.