Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What Do You Use The Most For Post-Work?

zippyozzy opened this issue on Feb 02, 2005 ยท 34 posts

xoconostle posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 3:14 PM

Photoshop 7 and PSP 8. I appreciate it when people can do effective or attractive postwork without relying on too many fancy filters or actions. OTOH, the use of some PShop actions that I bought here was a great education in how to do those things on my own with the native processes and filters. Still have a lot to learn.

I can see why someone would like to see Poser images without postwork if what they're looking for is what Poser is capable of on its own, but the notion that the use of postwork is cheating or impure is absurd. Media are a means to an end, not an end in themselves, unless you are purposely restricting yourself as an exercise or technique. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no more or less valid than the time-honored tradition of mixing techniques. Anyone who has taken even the most basic drawing class has probably been introduced to simple concepts like using an eraser as part of the drawing process, using Conte crayon to finish charcoal drawings, or using ink wash to complete a pen-and-ink drawing. This notion of "purity" in Poser-rendered art is only valid in the specific context of consciously self-restricted Poser use, it has no validity otherwise. Similarly, those who argue that a Vue or Bryce render is "impure" or less valid if you've imported Poser models into the scene are just blowing hot air. Do what it takes to complete the image to your satisfaction. Asceticism starves one's arsenal. If you choose to do that, recognize that it's your choice, not the yardstick by which you judge the art of others.

Message edited on: 02/03/2005 15:15