Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Need some advise!!! Can anyone help me???

silverwingx opened this issue on Jan 07, 2001 ยท 25 posts

JanP posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 6:46 AM

Not to mention the fact that it easily could have just been a full body or head scan of a human but I don't know. As far as poser being a toy, Well, I would have to say that is pretty much just that. I have tried thousands of times to get reasonable realist movement out of my characters and never have bee able to without using mimic or BVH files. If I use spline keyframing it always screws up something. For example.... I have a guy sitting on a stool. After talking to camera 1 for a bit he turns right to talk to camera 2. Okay that part was easily fixed from pretzel errors by just using the constant tool to a few frames before the turn. Now, I want him to appear to take small breaths inbetween sentances. This takes subtlety. I worked on one parameter at a time. First round was as far as I got. I made him bend is abdomen periodically, then I was goint to slightly increace the scale of his chest in time with the abdomen but I did not get that far, Just by bending the abdomen back and forth periodically his body now turns back to camera 1 and his head stays looking to the right of camera 2. This obcourse was not planned and bending the abdomen should in no way cause him to turn. Its absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever scene. With spline keyframing all you should need to do is set 3 points your first KF, the second KF being identical to the first, make your change(if the part is doing something different, set that frame and then to help lock out trouble on this side your last keyframe in the move and then another just like it if you are gonna do another different move. THats how I have to do it in Poser. Truespace however I only have to set 3 keframes if I have different movements. I suppose I could use linear but then that wont look real and I'll have to compensate by adding even more keys for acceration/deceleration. The graph window is truely the cruddiest one I have ever had the displesure of working with. It never opens at the current frame, always at frame 1. and it is very difficult to move the slide bar. The track ball is somewhat useless, No physical representations of cameras for easy placement. The axis are not marked when you display the origin so from on persons model to the next its hard figuring out whats what. Especially when Truespace display theirs and is different. Like, Truespace's Z axis is the vertical wheras I believe Poser's is X. Despite all that I do like Poser but it is very poorly designed. I keep telling Weinberg that he needs to see how Truespace and Lightwave are put together. Lets put in perspective. Lightwave would be my $20 toy. Truespace, $15. And Poser, well, $5. I think I am being generous too. If I sound anoid its just cause I spent 7 hours trying animate my figure and its now Sunday 7:38am. Now after all that. If someone like oh, you Marque could clue me in on animating I would appreciate it. I followed the tutorial to the letter once and I recall my animation was all screwed up then too. Go figure. JanP