Forum: Community Center

Subject: MODERATORS HAVE PULLED ALL MY IMAGES

jbeauvais opened this issue on Feb 23, 2005 ยท 20 posts

Kendra posted Sat, 26 February 2005 at 11:08 AM

"You can colour in other people's creations all you like, you will never be considered an Artist by most of your peers (and that's where Artists are really judged). Anyone can colour in. What we like to see in Art is originality, your OWN creations, from your head, not someone else's. I really can't see a point to calling yourself an 'Artist' otherwise."

I would disagree. For instance, I'm working on "coloring in" some flower scans from Dover. For those who don't know, Dover offers collections of out of copyright designs. It would be perfectly legal for me to upload my finished work to my gallery.
The flower scans are just outlines. In two hours I've only finished 4/5's of one tulip. (there are 5 plus leaves and stems) This should tell you there is more to it than just "coloring in". This project acomplishes several things: a creative outlet, future work to build on and digital Photoshop painting practice.

If jbeauvais is just beginning then it's perfectly natural to begin with something easy. To condemn him at the start is elitism. Educating him on copyrights and all that go along with it does not mean criticism as there are lineart sources for him to seek out and use legally for his practice and posting to his gallery.
Keep in mind, children are given coloring books, not blank pieces of paper, to start with. This site caters to beginners as well as experts.

...... Kendra