Forum: Fractals

Subject: Hot 20 suggestions

nickcharles opened this issue on Mar 01, 2005 ยท 74 posts

lazydog posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 12:20 AM

I suggested something along the lines of Rykk's post above in the community forum some time ago when this subject last blew up. The response was, quite rightly, that it doesn't take an expert in a given software program to spot good lighting or compostion or any other aesthetic (sp?) aspect of an image and want to vote. Taking the idea a bit further though, I'd like to suggest this solution instead. If a member - a: is posting regularly in a gallery b: is active in that gallery's respective forum - this surely points to someone active in that community. How hard would it be, to weight someones vote depending on how active they are in the relevant community? To give an example of how this might work: I know nothing about Bryce so lets say I see a thumbnail in 'All-All' that catches my attention. I click the link, I like the picture, I look at this Bryce artist's gallery and I add him to my favourites list. Next time he posts an image I get an email informing me and I vote for this image. Now: -1 point because the artist is in my favourites list. -1 point because I haven't visited the Bryce gallery recently -1 point each because I don't contribute to gallery or forum. Now suppose a Bryce regular has the same artist in his favourites list: -1 point because the artist is in his favourites list. and that's it; his vote is worth 3 times more than mine because he is a contributing member of the Bryce community. If a regular in a given community feels that an image needs work on certain areas they are unlikely to vote for it; the above method should ensure that it would then have to be an outstanding image in other more abstract/aesthetic areas to reach the Hot20. These stats must already be available to the admin here and I doubt this would take that much scripting. What do you think? Mike