Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anyone else cleaning out their runtimes to make room for P6?

PapaBlueMarlin opened this issue on Mar 02, 2005 ยท 33 posts

Penguinisto posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 9:15 AM

" Reoganizing, yes. Makes it easier to find the gems in the folder pile."

'zackly.

I only deleted about half a GB at the most of stuff I had no obvious use for, duplicate files (had a few duped sets in there), stuff that has better versions of the same type of item lurking elsewhere, and things that I obviously haven't ever really used, and prolly won't ever use.

Then there's the fact that I had jillions of folders in there (esp. in Props) where there was no real logical sense to it. Ferinstance, take shoes. I had 'em scattered all over the place, which meant that finding a pair that fit the scene tended to eat a lot of time. I spent it all poking and prodding around through a huge pile of folders named after various merchants and freebie providers. Now, all the shoe props are lurking in one spot (further organized by specific figure types.)

I even managed to find things which I literally hadn't seen in at least a year or more because of the obscure locations where they had been buried.

Now when I get new stuff, I usually open it in Linux, merge everything into a dummy Runtime, reorganize the 'libraries' directory according to my little system then shift it over to the Mac (letting McPBrowser merge them into my main Runtime from there.) Takes a little more time to do that, but in the long run it saves even more time otherwise spent looking.

As for PBoost, IIRC, doesn't it also keep an eye on file dependencies? (Dunno - I don't do too many Win32 proggies, and the few that I do have run under Crossover Office on Linux or VirtualPC on the Mac.)

/P