Forum: Bryce

Subject: Raytracing (Bryce) vs Real Time (Unreal or Game Engines)

Analog-X64 opened this issue on Mar 16, 2005 ยท 10 posts

lordstormdragon posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 4:26 AM

Aye, it was my original Unreal 3 thread I believe in question here... I don't take any personal offense, Analog, but you are a bit misinformed about some of the technicalities. Also, I'm not certain you viewed the Unreal 3 tech videos, or read all of the data on this program and it's iterations... "Bryce Rendering involves things like reflections and refraction and are calculated accurately so that light bouncing off a mirror or passing through a glass of water gets bounced or bent the same way it does in real life, the disadvantage is the large amounts of numbers to calculate which is more suited to non real time computing." - Incorrect. Bryce doesn't process light, at all. It's a raytracer, not a photon mapper. Bryce doesn't calculate light bouncing off of mirrors or through water, because it has no light system. Rays are a mathematical analysis approximating color levels, and are nothing like photons. "Well Game Engines like Unreal are built for speed not accuracy, tricks are used to generate realistic effects rather than calculating exactly how light would behave in a scene..." - Correct, in general. In the case of Unreal 3, though, you are witnessing a breakthrough in rendering. Unreal 3 is able to calculate realtime techniques such as light-through transparency and (more importantly) displacement shading... "Bryce relies more on math and calculations to render rather than the capabilities of the Video Card." - Correct, again, with one major flaw : With Unreal, those same "more" calculations are being performed on an amazing piece of harware, the Geforce 6800. If Bryce 6 were brought up to the industry standard (Direct X 9), we wouldn't have to sit around test-rendering constantly to achieve certain effects, and it would speed up our work. Granted, most people don't have a $500 Geforce 6 card, but even if DAZ brought Bryce up to DX-7 specs, it would help! My point is, and was this : There's no reason that ANY 3D programs of ANY caliber shouldn't be able to at least reach Unreal 2.0's level of preview generation by now. Hell, 90% of the Bryce renders alone on Renderosity look like shit compared to Unreal 1! I'm not trying to say that we should all switch and render in Unreal or anything ridiculous like that, but what I am saying is : Man up. Learn more. Do better work, everyone (ME especially!), or the CGI industry will get run over by the realtime industry. They certainly have the funding, as you all know by now video games make more money than movies do, and they will continue to outdistance pre-rendered animation as time goes on. Nvidia and the people at Unreal are making certain of this... So don't lok at my statements (past or present) as an insult to our current software, I mean them more as a motivator. I should be able to produce better imagery than a stinkin video game by now, damnit!