Forum: Community Center

Subject: Change in TOS...New Child Image Guidelines

StaceyG opened this issue on Mar 21, 2005 ยท 174 posts

SeanE posted Tue, 22 March 2005 at 8:56 AM

... is that no one really seems to sit down and think of all the possibilities or all the permutations of the issue first before making the new rule. (which I have no problem with myself) In this case a simple brainstorm session of a couple of people thinking of all the different ways that a child figure can be artistically depicted might have worked wonders. Here's an idea, and something that I do with my students in classes at work but it can be done via email or on a chat forum as well - one person writes down 5 ways that a child figure can be depicted in art, then they pass this list on to another person and they have to think of 5 more ways, without repeating the first 5, and then that person passes it on... and so on as far as you like, but the more you have the better of course. Keep it going until you run out of ideas. Now what you end up with is a pretty extensive list of ways to depict a child figure. Now you sort out the acceptable from the unacceptable ways, possibly grouping them into themes/types as you go if you're able to to cut down the final lists. THEN you go to write you new TOS change covering the unacceptable methods but which would allow the acceptable methods. It should come out a lot more clearer and precise, rather than the blanket "Don't depict a child under age or that..." as has been done now as you have identified your unacceptable targets clearly beforehand. OK so it's a bit of work, but I feel this could clear up a lot of the TOS hassles that happen here on rendo' and make the TOS a bit less ambiguous and open to mod/admin interpretation than it is now. cheers Sean