Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Some opinions about Poser 6

Schlabber opened this issue on Mar 23, 2005 ยท 76 posts

ynsaen posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 10:52 AM

I don't often get into comments on poser rigging because I have a tendency to become frothy, but I'll give it another shot. THe concpet of using poser's "bones" in the same way you would use real bones is not accurate. It's easiest to think of them in those terms, but a slightly better way of looking at them would be to consider them as Motion Centers. THe system of rigging used inposer is not antiquated -- it is used regularly and often outside of poser, but it does not have the "mental model" of a weight system that allows you to think more in terms of muscles. THe benefit to the poser system is that, in the same format, it is smaller and lighter and easier to achieve a rapid result that is workable in. It is the "original" methodology, so to speak. There are a great many projects surrounding the blending of "poser" style riggin and "weight" style rigging -- each of them has a great many strengths, and each of them has a great many flaws. Ultimatley, they are more or less equal -- it becomes a matter of taste, skill, and familiarity. The riggings used in the figures in discussion are, ultimately, rather simple ones. There are some figures that have been designed that have several hundred bones -- which may be overkill. However, what is often overlooked in these discussions is the additional factors that are possible to apply within poser. Joint controlled morphs, effective JP set up, and careful grouping of an elastic enough mesh all give Poser the potential for motion and appearance that can exceed the capabilities of the other systems possible. However, there is not one commercially viable figure thus far that has truly approached a point of actually using the rigging system in poser and the features around it to their full extent. V3 is not the best rigged figure possible, and does not push the boundaries of what is possible. It's simply what everyone is used to, and it's easier to deal with. Especially for clothing makers -- tweaking 185 distinct joints and grouping that on a mesh is not somethign that would lead to tons of conforming clothing for a figure in a short period. To that end, making use of the dynamic cloth capabilities of Poser 5 and 6 becomes far more important when you begin to rig figures for more efficient posing and more realistic positinoning. Ok, that's enough. I'll wander off now and look at daisies...

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)