Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 6 - A disappointment

Mason opened this issue on Mar 25, 2005 ยท 59 posts

svdl posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 9:36 PM

The Cancel problem is very familiar to me in P5. Usually doesn't happen in the Loading Textures stage, but very, very often during the Adding Objects stage for the render (shadow maps have never been a problem). I haven't tried a really complicated scene in P6 yet. I tried to render a somewhat simpler scene (just Jessi Hires and a couple of environment props) at very high resolution and quality settings, and P6 told me it wouldn't be able to render it. P5 would have tried and gone into neverland. So P6 IS an improvement over P5 in this respect. OpenGL works as expected. Raytracing is just too computationally heavy for realtime rendering - not a single application/renderer/hardware combination that I know of can handle it. I usually set up complicated scenes in Poser, then export to Vue for adding environments and atmosphere. I then render in Vue. The OpenGL preview in P6 allows me to rotate a complicated scene much more smoothly than the software preview in P5. I'm a happy camper. Alas, canceling a render in P5 using ESC often didn't work for me. "It takes a minute or so to cancel?" Not for me, a few hours and it still was "Canceling..." on my Athlon64 3500+. Canceling in P6 worked in the very few test renders I've been able to do up till now. All in all, I think P6 is definitely worth its upgrade price. I'll probably run into limitations, glitches and bugs. I expect to, I have never encountered software that was perfect. So far, P6 doesn't seem to be more buggy than any other initial software release.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff