Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 6 - A disappointment

Mason opened this issue on Mar 25, 2005 ยท 59 posts

Khai posted Sat, 26 March 2005 at 7:11 AM

once again I ask. Are we using the same software? 1. Duplicate magnet channels still are created. can't answer this one, never used them. 2. Renders go into never never land with infinite loading texture message. No dump. No error handling. No time out. Nothing. No way to go through and check geometry etc to see what went wrong. never had this, even in very complex scenes. 3. Cancel button does nothing of the kind. Nothing has changed here from P5. Whatever Cancel does it certainly does it very poorly. BTW god only knows what they are doing since you're simply cancelling a render. cancel should gaurentee exit from a render. There should be NO clean up or anything else. You're halting the render and dumping out. That simple. I am convinced, even though Cl denies this, that firefly is a seperate thread of some sort that Poser sends stuff to and communicates to via some sort of messaging system. Poser appears to have no real, direct control over firefly other than setting some options then submitting a render to that renderer. That would explain why cancel doesn't work since firefly crashes and Poser can only send a message to it to cancel. erm, Cancel works fine here. hit it, wait a coupla secs, and I'm out with a render screen that retains what was done. 4. Render an entire scene and no memory error. Render a small part of the scene and get a memory error. Neither condition exceeded my 2 gig mem. again, I never get this error and I have 512mb ram. 5. GL preview looks nice and the preset material options are somewhat handy even though reflection/mirror didn't work right. please name some software that does.. I've never found any that do... 6. Speed appears faster but that directory switching is so slow. simple answer. split your runtime done. it makes no difference changing the software to try increase speed here if the folder is 40gb+ - there are practical limits on this. (I learnt this programming Databases! lol) For the record - I'm running P6 on a 1.2ghz Athlon with 512mb PC133 Ram. not a super machine by any standards, but it runs fine here (except for a minor glitch early on caused by me). I can't understand why the problems?