Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: How do I run a perl script?

insomniaworks opened this issue on Mar 15, 2005 ยท 13 posts

sicowan posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 8:30 AM

Hi there Insomniaworks,
I run perl scripts a lot from the command prompt for doing all sorts of usefull things, Perl is really good at doing monotonous tasks like creating HTML on the fly, writing batch files, cutting and editing text to seperate documents...blah,blah,blah.
I think what you will need to do is the following: inside your Perl folder on the root of your hard-drive (probably C: drive) create a new folder to paste your perl scripts into, in this case morphtarget.pl. Call the folder whatever you like, I call mine myperl just for ease of getting to it from the command prompt.
Paste into the same folder the obj files you will need in this case it looks like grpPitFiend.obj & reposed.obj. I would imagine PitFiendRepose.obj is going to be the name of the object file that is created by the Perl script.
Now open the command prompt. Type in cd Perlmyperl. now type in (without quotes)"perl morphtarget.pl grpPitFiend.obj reposed.obj > PitFiendRepose.obj". If as stated further up the thread your perl file has the code
#!/perl/bin/perl
Pasted into the top line of your perl file then it should find and run the perl.exe.
The new obj file will be created (i presume) in your copy of the myperl folder ready to be cut and pasted into the runtime/geometries folder of your choice.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Sicowan