Forum: Vue

Subject: The box says 512M free RAM.....I don't think so........

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Mar 28, 2005 ยท 43 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 5:18 PM

When it comes to system RAM -- the more the merrier, that's what I say.

Currently, I've got 2 desktop PC's - networked together. Both PC's hove dual monitors.

The older PC is a 1G AMD Athlon with 512M of RAM. I use it as a file server. It's got something like 8 hard drives connected to it -- including several external drives of various types and sizes. There's a drive left over from my old 233MMX mounted in an external box. There's another external box which contains the 20G drive from my old laptop. It's also got my Nikon Coolscan 35mm film scanner connected to it.

It also serves as an occasional rendercow.

I'm a packrat, in case if you haven't figured that out.

My newer machine is a 2.53 PentiumIV with 1G RAM (soon to be 1.5G). It's got dual flatscreen monitors and several external drives mounted onto it, too. Along with numerous scanners, printers, palm sync cradles, digital video capture devices, etc.....etc.....etc........

The max RAM that my newer PC can handle is 2G. To go higher than that, I'd be looking at a new PC.

Which isn't out of the question......but I am waiting for another generation or so of processors to pass before I'll consider the performance differential to be worth the price.

At that point in time, I'll have 3 desktop PC's on my network.

The question then will be one of finding the room for them all. Along with all of their associated peripherals. The space is getting to be an issue.

Something To Do At 3:00AM