Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Texture Tutorials

Acadia opened this issue on Mar 30, 2005 ยท 17 posts

Acadia posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 1:56 AM

Quote - I don't know what kinds of problems you have in the material room. You can preview what does what in the window at the bottom of the screen so a little experimenting should give you an idea.

The problem I have is that it is too confusing. Nodes, buttons galore... I think I stand a better chance at learning how to fly the Discovery than I do in learning the Material room; I haven't even figured out what the material room is for actually. I thought it was a place to apply textures, but it turns out you do that in the Pose room. I do everything in the Pose room. The material room and cloth room just have way too many dials and windows and 'stuff' in them.

I have patience galore when it comes to stuff I'm interested in. I can spend hours and hours in PSP and need to force myself to close it up when I realize I've been engrossed in it for 5 hours or more sometimes. On the other hand I have to force myself to open up Poser and after 1/2 an hour and a render I've had enough. It's just not fun for me :(

I don't get any joy out of playing dress up dolly. I want to make stuff, not stick stuff on a figure and render it.

I've heard people here saying that some people figure that poser is pretty much 'press a button and make art', and frankly that's what I'm feeling it is; at least to me. Press a button add someone's clothes, turn a few dials and make it fit. Press another button and add someone's texture to the clothes. Press another button and add a pose, turn a couple of dials to adjust the clothes. Click another button and someone's hair. Click a button and add someone's lighting. Click a button and render the image. I don't find that fun...or creative.

I spent 2 days trying to pose a figure from scratch and it ended up like a pretzel. I looked at some tutorials for posing; I even have that book called "Secrets of Figure Creation". I think the reason I can't figure a lot of stuff out in Poser is because I'm not really interested in figuring it out. I want to make stuff and Poser doesn't "make" stuff.

i realize that making good textures takes time and effort and practice. I'm not looking to be good in it over night; I realize it will take time, but I want to try it. I want to learn how to do it. I love to make stuff, and I have a great eye for colour and design, and want to create things instead of just playing Barbie. Message edited on: 03/30/2005 02:02

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi