Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: No guarantees fo compatibility between Poser 6 and DAZ products?!?

Grimmshaw opened this issue on Apr 05, 2005 ยท 23 posts

DCArt posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 11:00 AM

So i think, the only question is, how long they need to do so and if they give away those updates for free. I'm quite confident that they do so, because DAZ always was fair in their business in the past. I'd like to add a bit more about this to put something else in perspective. I recently created a set of textures for an upcoming product (yeah, for DAZ! LOL). It took me a full day to create the necessary library files (MAT poses, thumbnails, etc) and test them for P4, Pro Pack, P5 and P6 compatibility. I will do that for any product that I make that involves textures and that will work across all Poser versions. Promise. Now ... looking through the DAZ store, I call up the items that are considered DAZ originals. It comes up with 528 items. Being that one texture set took me a day to verify compatibility with all Poser versions, it would take one person a year to a year and a half to update all of those items. That means they would have to hire a person full time to do just that ... or take one of their existing people away from what they are already doing. So it will cost them a year and a half of someone's salary to do all those updates. With no guarantee that it will increase sales enough to pay for that person's salary, because folks would probably hope for free updates. That's why it's easier for an independent merchant to do the updates. They don't have to worry about paying someone else, only themselves. There are an increasing number of PA's that ARE supporting P5 stuff, so I expect you'll see multi-version compatibility in newer DAZ stuff. But it might be optimistic to expect updates of older stuff because it does take a LOT of time to create and test in all other versions.