Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: ~ IBL / AO Animation Test ~

maxxxmodelz opened this issue on Apr 11, 2005 ยท 12 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 1:56 AM

"Looks awsome Maxxx!!!!" Thanks, ghelmer. I'm not exactly 'proud' of the motion, but a test is a test. I rushed through the keyframing, and it shows. ;-P Operaguy: "I assume you ran at default Poser6 scale with no massive scale-up?" Default scale, no scale-up involved. "can you rough this against what you believe your time would be in 3DS Max with MentalRay or whatever you would use to arrive at this quality? What magnitude faster/slower, Max/Poser?" Good question, and I did do a 'sort of' unorthodox test of this very thing. The same scene, imported into 3dsMax, using Max-specific shaders, etc. I set up a dome light consisting of 91 spotlights to "fake" GI, then added a kicker light and key light, just like I did in Poser. Then I imported the entire PZ3 via a plugin into Max, changed the textures to the Max-equivalent, and rendered out just one single frame as a test. The resulting image only took 45 seconds at the same size output dimensions, and the result looked very similar. So, even with a 91 light dome rig, Max still rendered dramatically faster on a single frame basis. I didn't test Mental Ray, but I'm sure the result would have been about the same. That said, however, Poser still has a major advantage in the way of displacement rendering! If I wanted more detail, for instance, I could have added a displacement map to the texture in Poser, and it wouldn't have increased the rendertime too much. If I wanted sub-poly displacement in Max, it probably would have tripled or quadrupled the rendertime, and probably even more if I needed very high antialiasing too. "In your opinion, was performance steady frame by frame? No slow-down due to the memory leak?" Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for this. I didn't notice any slow-down due to the memory issue on a per-frame basis, but I suppose it's possible. I only watched the first few frames roll off. ;-)

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.