Forum: Bryce

Subject: AntiAliasing Techniques

lordstormdragon opened this issue on Apr 18, 2005 ยท 13 posts

lordstormdragon posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 3:02 AM

Aye, generally I use EQ after I'm done compositing. I think on this scene, I'll be using it before the compositing, and then when all that's done. I still have to run the regular, Non-Volumetric render behind the Volumetric one in #1 here, and all that on top of the distance render, and on and on... Really, the point to all of this is to save time! I know that the image in #3 isn't quite as smooth as it would be if I had let it finish the AA pass, but it's looking pretty smooth, and I'm not sure but I might just like it better that way. Thing is, Anti-Aliasing algorithms aren't really a mystery. And it's likely that the KPT people used much of this math in Equalizer. Aside from EQ not actually KNOWING where the object's edges are, it seems to have some similar effects as AA... Of course, this is just one type of scene. I'll do some more arbitrary tests in a bit with harsh-contrast edges and objects, to see if this style can help with those kinds of renders also. Here's the scene with no volumetrics, and a regular AA pass. Render time : 45.38. Much more realistic, but still too slow to animate...