Forum: Fractals

Subject: Post work

Timbuk2 opened this issue on Apr 17, 2005 ยท 11 posts

Lagardo posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:36 PM

Excuse me, but if I add a layer that shifts the color space of my work in UF then I'm doing postwork. No less and no more than if I take the exact same image into GIMP or PS and do the exact same color shift there. It is absurd and meaningless to proclaim "post work" starts where the fractal generator ends - every single fractal program in existence today allows you to do certain amounts of post work right there in the fractal engine itself. Getting a kaleidoscope effect via a mapping transform is just as much (or as little) "post work" as generating the exact same effect in a paint program. If I modify the gradient transfer function, then I'm doing "postwork". Wenever you have more than one layer and you merge them somehow you're doing "postwork". Unless you're producing black-and-white images for the sole purpose of outlining the shapes of certain mathematical sets in the complex plane, you've already "post worked" your image. Computers make fractals. Humans make fractal art. If the latter somehow "ruins" the former, then there is nothing conceivably wrong about that.