Forum: Bryce

Subject: Might be useful - freeware programs

Erlik opened this issue on Apr 25, 2005 ยท 23 posts

Quest posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 4:39 PM

Danamo, thanks for that link too, Povtree. I downloaded it and had no problem converting Olive tree in Poseray to an .obj file. I then imported into 3DS Max and put it through Polygon cruncher and reduced it from 256,156 polys to just slightly over 66,000. Havent taken a close look yet to see deformation but generally looks good at the glance. Im sorry Erlik, I know from paste experience that the original Pov-ray was ascii but I was of the impression for some reason that over the years they improved over the code by adding binary to later formats. Oh well, guess Im wrong and Ive been barking up the wrong tree in looking for an ascii to binary converter. Ive still not been able to convert the Citygen exported file with Poseray to .obj. I also tried Crossroads before I posted here to no avail. I could view the olive tree converted to .obj (mentioned above) with Poseray in 3D Exploration but it will not show the CityGen exported .Pov file. So CityGen must be exporting at some other, perhaps earlier .pov format that is not recognized by either 3D Exploration, Crossroads or Poseray. Is that possible? Have you been successful with it? If you have, how did you manage it? When Pov-tree saved the olive tree to pov-ray format, it placed an .inc extension on the exported file which was then read and converted by Poseray to .obj format. So am I right in assuming that .inc and .pov are both Pov-ray formats of a different flavor?