Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What's the BEST way to make face morphs?

ghelmer opened this issue on May 02, 2005 ยท 35 posts

Photopium posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 9:50 PM

Poser Six is a big help: First: Load V3 or M3 and inject all head morphs. Second: Apply a texture best suited to the person you are morphing. When in doubt, V3 High-Res Daz Standard is a good way to start. Third: Load a one-sided square. Change it's specular color to black and make it transparency 40%. Set it's materials for a 2-d image map, and select a good-res source image that features the person you are trying to morph in a face-on, expressionless pose. Change the sqaure's dimensions to match the source image. Fourth: Move and scale the one-sided square so that it is just in front of your model and the head sizes and positions are about the same. Choose a reference point, such as the nostrils. Fifth: Use all stock morphs until you get something fairly close. Sixth: Check progress with a render. Disappointing. This is to be expected. This is the "Alan Alda" phase. I typically have to go back and cut all my morph values in half, to tame down over-compensation and such. Then, I will go in the reverse order and tweak. Seventh: Check progress. Disappointing. This is to be expected. Stock morphs will only get you so far. Now it's time for magnets. (I use a set of "Universal magic Mags" on the head for symmetric/simultaneous morphing. UMMs are available here in RO marketplace. Also available, Universal head shop for those who only want to work on the head.) Eighth: After spending six hours with magnets, render, and be excited! It looks perfect! Immediately rush a render off to RO gallery or this forum to show off. Ninth: Wake up the next morning, and wonder what the hell you were thinking, it looks bloody awful. Tenth: Repeat process about 24 times over the course of 3 to 6 months, depending on how much free time you have. Every so often, export something that is almost good as a morph target and start a-fresh. Over time, you will have many versions (I name them by date) that you can start to load onto a blank cr2 and mix them together for the ultimate. I will post some examples here in this thread. -WTB