Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What's the BEST way to make face morphs?

ghelmer opened this issue on May 02, 2005 ยท 35 posts

BastBlack posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 8:31 PM

Okay, back for more posting. :D

WTB,

your faces are awsome! =D

face_off,

I'm not a Cruise fan, but how could I pass up Hunter? I have no will power. LOL. If PixelLogic gets $400 from me, it's all your fault. ;)

ghelmer,

Your Brandon Lee is a nice start. I think the eye area needs the most work, the chin looks good. Truth be told, I was toying around with the idea of doing a Brandon Lee too! I really like his East-meets-West facial features. The Crow was one of my favorite movies from the 90s too.

Anyhoo, to help you out, here's a little more of my working process and advice. If you haven't already, get as many good Brandon Lee reference photos as you can find or download.

Here's a quick google link:
http://images.google.com/images?q=%22brandon+lee%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=20&sa=N

Before you try to match M3's head with a face in a photo, understand the target face first. This is very important and will help you transend errors in the camera's lens, the printed/scanned image, and M3's face. Look for things like: What is the basic face shape? Where are the cheekbones? What kind of brow? etc. Once you understand your target face, that's when you're ready to begin. I use alot of Physiognomy terms to keep track of facial characteristics because for me, it's an easy way to quickly identify and remember facial features. I use terms like: "Sword Brow" "Monkey Lips" "Fire Face" and "Wolf Eyes."

Then, have a front picture and profile picture ready to help guide you. I also refer back to the 3/4 view for more accuracy, and eyeball other angles too. If you have a worm eye-view photo that will help you in amazing ways on the nose and the nostrils. Start with dial spinning first. (You can do magnets later to refine.) But note that sometimes the effect you are looking for can be done in several ways by different combinations of dial spinning. You have to troubleshoot which one will be best for you.

I use the animation palette to combine different attempts on the same face. Sometimes, I will take the best part of each try to create a new, better face. And sometimes I just average all attempts until I get a face that's not hidious looking! LOL.

Once you have it, do lots of test renders. then walk away from it for week. When you look at again, you'll see errors you were "blind" to before because working too close to "the face" will cloud your objectivity.

The Brom morphs will help your Brandon Lee in the eye area. Put some puffiness around the eyes, bring the eye depth forward, thin the lower face a bit, make the cheekbones wider, the nostrils wider, the "mustache" area wider, and add temples.

Hope that helps! Good luck! =)

bB

Message edited on: 05/03/2005 20:41