Forum: Carrara

Subject: Hexagon is now available.

keithw opened this issue on May 10, 2005 ยท 60 posts

Ringo posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 2:57 PM

FROM someone that just purchase Hexagon: ==================== I have to say, Hexagon is one of the most impressive pieces of software to come out of Eovia in quite a while. Those who want Amapi features without Amapi quirks will be in for a real treat. First off, if you are a seasoned Amapi user, you'll probably notice Hexagon's similarities right from the start. Once you get yourself acquainted with Hexagon's interface, you can pretty much jump right in and start working. However, there are some key differences between Hexagon and Amapi. First and foremost is the lack of a context menu. Right-clicking in Hexagon defaults to the rubber-band selection tool. While this is initially frustrating, you'll get over it quickly. This works incredibly well with Hexagon's workflow, since you'll be using it a lot. Next, Hexagon allows you to perform certain tasks that would have required jumping through hoops in Amapi. For example, you can now select a point on your model and delete it with the delete key without affecting the rest of your model. While that doesn't seem like such a big deal, it will literally cut hours off the time it takes to compete your model. Finally, Hexagon really is as fast as many of the video clips on Eovia's website have shown. In fact, Hexagon seems to outpace Amapi in almost every area. The only time I've noticed a slowdown in Hexagon was when I approached 250,000 polygons in a model using Hexagon's internal smoothing (which smooths objects in realtime like Carrara does). Which brings me to one last point... stability. Hexagon, in it's very first release has already proven to be far stable than many of Eovia's more established applications. I have only managed to get Hexagon to crash once, by pushing the smoothing into the 1,000,000 polygon range. Normally, doing something like this would take out Carrara and Amapi well before reaching 1,000,000 polygons. Eovia definitely deserves some credit on this one. Over all, I have a feeling Hexagon will become my primary modeling tool over Carrara and Amapi Pro. The software just seems to work without getting in the way.