Forum: Carrara

Subject: Hexagon is now available.

keithw opened this issue on May 10, 2005 ยท 60 posts

jval posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 5:17 PM

...Hegagon is going to be the entry-level solution, while Amapi is going to more or less become the admiral of the fleet. I'm not sure. As I understand it Hexagon and Amapi will be aimed at different markets. Hexagon will appeal to those interested in organic modeling, illustration, animation, etc. Amapi Pro will beckon those producing models that will eventually result in an actual manufactured object ie a real automobile or shoe or lamp or whatever. Hexagon will be for arty types while AmapiPro will be for designers. If this is correct than neither should be thought of as either "entry level" or "pro". A product designer would prefer the accuracy and other benefits of AmapiPro's nurbs approach whereas the professional animator would appreciate Hexagon's sub-d polygon approach. Carrara's modeling abilities are considered rather weak by many and it may well be that in the future it will be relegated primarily to rendering, texturing and animation. In that case the approach will be similar to LightWave- separate renderer and modeler. Of course, I could be wrong. - Jack