Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Can we continue the 'Better Renders' thread, please?

BillyGoat opened this issue on Feb 03, 2001 ยท 6 posts

michalki posted Sat, 03 February 2001 at 3:10 PM

About the Y axis: No, this doesn't necessarily mean the Y axis should be at zero. What I meant was that after you determine the quality of lights that you find suitable in relation to the current camera position (main, dolly or auxilliary cameras seem to give the best results with long focal lengths), sometimes a very small turn around the Y axis will "sculpt" the model in a superior way. I am assuming from your question that you wanted to do portraits, mostly. Entire scenes would be dealt with differently. But for portraits of a full figure or head & shoulder shots, sometimes what I do is first use the figure as a "dummy" to find that magic spot where the combination of lights & camera angle produce the best possible feature definition or "sculpting." While you're doing the setup, it doesn't matter at that point how the figure is turned in relation to the camera. In Hollywood, they use "standins" when setting up cameras & lights & here the idea is the same. Because once I find the correct relationship between camera & lights, I then select "Body" for the figure & carefully turn the figure around on its Y axis until it is turned the way I want for the final image. Once you determine a camera/lights setup that you like, tell Poser to memorize the setup for future use using dots or save lights to Library.