Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Any MODO users?

dvisuals opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 10 posts

Kemal posted Mon, 16 May 2005 at 3:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.luxology.com/modo/eval/

I am Silo user, exlusively now, used to play with nurbs a lot in my youth ;o)

I do not use Modo cuz I believe that modeling app should not be that expencive, regardless of capabilities, investing that much money in rendering app is more close to my idea of spending money :)

However, I do happen to know lot of ppl who actually use Modo in everyday life...

This is what I learned so far:

Modo is a excellent application as a whole, every possible interface option is there, plenty of room to customize, except mouse (which is much less customizable then in SILO, at least till now)...

There is huge manual and crapload of tutorials on the CD and online, enough to make you busy for months to come...

Excellent support, forums, their advertizing campain and all other stuff in between make ppl believe that MODO is the last thing you will ever have to buy !!! :P

Modo does everything from regular poly modeling tools, morph targets, UV mapping ant whatnot (macros, internal prog language, etc)...

However, what about ppl who actually want to go to modeling part right away ? What about us who do not wish to go through bunch of tutorials just to learn how to do something relatively simple ?

Modeling application is supose to be relatively simple and very, very fast (nothing should be introduced if it's gonna mess up the workflow), yet MODO have this thing that U have to enter the tool first then do something with it and then drop the tool ??? Too slow of the workflow for my taste (I'm keyboard shortcut oriented, edge flippin' speed obssesed modeler, hehe) :P

Anyways, if you have enough money, and time to learn/use it, go for it, but if you want to go with simpicity and real speed (modeling and learning), Silo is the good option...

IMHO, the best $100 I ever spent in my life, so far :D

P.S. I'm amateur so there is no production thing involved, I do modeling only for fun...Is it worth extra $$$ ? In my opinion, NO, not for what I do, ofcourse, you can do more then with SILO, but real question is do you realy need it ! :)

MODO trial is actually available (see the top link)! :D