Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thought I'd ask before I take the plunge...

ArdathkSheyna opened this issue on May 17, 2005 ยท 11 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Tue, 17 May 2005 at 2:55 PM

Rendertimes vary don't forget. I've had a couple slow renders, and a couple that were VERY fast, compared to the same lighting situations in P5. One thing to remember is that AO is raytraced. So it's going to take some time if you use it on a diffuse IBL light. It's excruciatingly slow if you have lots of other raytraced materials in the scene too... like raytraced reflections or refractions. It also slows to a crawl if you use AO with transparency maps, such as that for hair. Dyanmic hair and AO is particularly slow. However, there are workarounds. You can disable the AO on your diffuse IBL light, and instead use it as a material node on only certain objects that you want those soft, dark, area shadows. For example, you can use an AO node on the body and head of Jessi or James, and not use it on the hair itself or areas of transparency. This will speed up your rendertimes dramatically. Doing this technique, however, usually requires you have some other form of shadows on a light, such as a shadow map, so that those materials without AO get some form of shadowing.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.