Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free Human Figures from Zygote

Mazak opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 160 posts

Penguinisto posted Thu, 19 May 2005 at 2:58 PM

'tis not a conspiracy, 'tis business. :)

Think back to the IE vs. Netscape... that's what keeps popping up in my head as the day wears on.

Zygote gets to undercut their own spin-off company and carve themselves a healthy piece of the Poserdom pie, while CL doesn't have to consider crawling back to DAZ and playing nice after that little Poser 5 tiff.

Personally, competition is cool - got no problems at all with it. OTOH, I don't want to see Poserdom get hosed over small overlooked things from external players out to increase their marketshare (we do a good enough job of screwing ourselves on occasion, thanks.) It's good to see Zygote's CEO sticking its neck out and saying that it's all nice and legal... now if DAZ has no problems with, great (obviously CL is happy about it, but prolly won't assume any legal hazard - then again they don't really have to.)

After this, I'd like to see how this open-source thingy is going to work without the merchantile element, since selling a product under most open-source models would be rather self-defeating -- unless of course you do something to it that can be both IP protected and give it value.

Take it from a guy who has been mucking around in F/OSS for years - them thar licenses won't do what many aspiring merchants reading this thread hope it will.

/P

Message edited on: 05/19/2005 15:07