Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Casette opened this issue on May 19, 2005 ยท 91 posts

hauksdottir posted Thu, 19 May 2005 at 5:36 PM

You misunderstand me. By the first 2, I meant the ones which originally came out back in the 70s. Yes, I saw New Hope as an adult at a real theatre. It was not only fun, but Lucas gave us an expanded universe populated by strange beings while still having familiar archtypal characters. I hated the stupid droids, but liked Leia. The double sunset was magnificent. The entire audience APPLAUDED the jump into hyperspace. Went back the next night and stood in line for 4 hours. The next time I saw it, I had a deck of cards in my pocket and we played hearts while waiting. Empire Strikes Back had a better plot, and I liked Luke even more with a bit more depth to his character. One could feel some menace and some despair under the grinding machinery of empire. There was a sense of epic... that this was a battle worth fighting, even though it might be doomed. Return of the Jedi was a thudding disppointment. I hated the droids even more (ye gods, give me a screwdriver and 15 minutes!!!) and now there were fuzzy little teddy bear toys taking out war machines? Give me a break! And having Vader come back all blue and glowy and redeemed? Sheeeeee-it! NO! A man who has destroyed entire worlds full of innocent lifeforms (not just humans, but all life) is totally beyond redemption. Not killing your son is hardly an act of altruism! When I learned that Lucas was going to make the rest of the story, but was turning it into a biopic of Vader, I was wary. With good reason! Phantom Menace was a disaster. I hated the droids, and absolutely wanted to slap that spoiled brat into the next solar system. The age difference between Annie and Padme was hysterical. The adults were stupid beyond words. Midi-chondria? :gag: Jar-Jar? :barf: And Lucas took that vast wonderful universe and shrunk it into an afternoon spin in the jalopy: you can make 3 planetfalls by tea-time. :roll eyes: And the eternal pod-racing sequence was simply an ad for the video-game. :grrrr: That killed it. There was no way I was ever going to give him another nickel... either through movie tickets or game sales. He owns a third of one toy company and 20% of another and THAT is where his interests lie. Not in story-telling, but in selling plastic. I haven't seen the last 2 movies (as made) and don't intend to. My time is more valuable than that. Movies are story-driven. If there is no story, there is no movie, no matter how many special effects one strings together or how much you pay some good-looking actor/actress to headline it. Carolly