Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free Human Figures from Zygote

Mazak opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 160 posts

Eternl_Knight posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 1:23 AM

Pengy - for the record, I was not accusing you of being against "Open Source Software" in anyway. I know from past posts of yours that you are all into that stuff. I'm also into it from a software developers side of things (I frequently use Python & wxWindows in applications I develop and have contributed minor programs to the world at larges under BSD type licenses). I have to disagree with your misgivings regarding the ease of execution in this regard. I see no difference between the open-sourcing of code vs the open-sourcing of mesh/rig data. Both of them are covered under the same copyright laws and as such, require similar licenses to "protect" them from fair use provisions and the like. Copyright law does the rest. From the way you word things - you make out like because the base figure is "open source", any derivatives must also be (see your comment RE: P2P sharing). This is patently not the case. For example - a modified BSD license would allow people to sell their derivatives so long as a copyright notice remains within the source files. Sixus1 Media's Project Human license (while not perfect) is very similar to this scenario. Open Source does not necessarily mean "GPL" (where changes to the base copyrighted material must also be made freely available when distributing a "compiled" version). As for Rendo not allowing "open source" items for sale - that too I think would depend on the type of license used. A GPL-like license I can understand them not accepting, an item derived from a BSD-like licensed mesh would be legally no different to what they do already. However, even in the event that Rendo decides against it - there ARE other places to sell these things. Last but not least - there is a tone of condecension in your post targetted at the strawman's argument that we're saying that Zygote & CL/eFrontier are in it for the "good of Open Source". Noboday said that. I simply said it doesn't matter the reasons behind it. As you said - it's business and in that business people are looking out how to make money. DAZ, Zygote, CL/eFrontier - they are corporations with the same aim - "To Make Money". What matter is HOW they go about this aim. Open Sourcing figures is not a bad method of doing this (you yourself mention that). However, the fact that they are trying to make money keeps being mentioned like it is something we need to watch out for. Merchants are in it for money too - does that mean we should warn people about their releases all the time?