Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free Human Figures from Zygote

Mazak opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 160 posts

DCArt posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 9:56 AM

Three or four years back, Rich Suchy (a wonderful character modeler) made available an open source woman on Preset Central, which now appears to be defunct. He released her with a GNU/GPL open source license.

Preset Central is now gone, and I'm not sure how to contact Rich Suchy. However, at the time, I asked him if I could Poserize the model and release her to the Poser community.

His reply was "That is exactly why I did it that way, and I would like to see her put to good use." He also said that I could give my Poser version away, or sell it, whichever I prefer. With TWO conditions.

(1) That I include the original GNU/GPL license with the product that I distributed; and
(2) That I granted anyone from that point on the freedom to do with my creation anything they wanted.

In other words, someone could take my Poserized version of the model and do anything they wanted with it, with the condition that they, too, gave anyone permission to do with the model what they wanted.

That is my understanding of what the Open Source licensing is all about. I would think that if the same open source geometry is used to make clothing (such as a catsuit), and if that catsuit is made 100% with the open source geometry, then the conditions should also extend to the catsuit (someone should probably clarify that).

BUT, if the clothing for the models are all original, then the conditions change, depending on the license that goes with the all-original clothing.

Message edited on: 05/21/2005 10:03