Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free Human Figures from Zygote

Mazak opened this issue on May 15, 2005 ยท 160 posts

Penguinisto posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 9:41 AM

Not a religion, but mostly pointing out that its a free giveaway on BSD (and in this case Zygote's) part, so that merchants can then lock down the results, as I've mentioned before.

The reason Linux (GPL) OTOH has grown far larger than BSD (not GPL) was because everyone has open redistributable access to the Linux kernel and all of its improvements.

I'm happy with either direction personally, but I suspect that a lot of potential merchants looking at this and drooling in anticipation of free labor for their income may be in for a nasty surprise.

Oh, in regards to: "and any derivatives", my dear EK - go ask Microsoft if you can redistribute their networking stack... it is after all a derivative of BSD's. I'm willing to bet that the answer is "no." I'm further willing to bet that any derivative of this project put up for sale will get you the same answer if you ask the merch for redistribution rights. ;)

Overall, if this is what they (and you) want to do, cool... As long as y'all know what you're buying into, I've no problems with it. I'm perfectly happy with coming back when the first of many nasty copyright snarls hit, and chiming in with an "I told you so" or two ;)

I wish you luck... you're gonna need it.

/P

Message edited on: 05/22/2005 09:44