Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Really soft shadows in P6 anyone?

odf opened this issue on Jun 06, 2005 ยท 16 posts

maclean posted Tue, 07 June 2005 at 2:39 PM

'I'm looking for shadows that depend on the position of the light source' odf, I don't want to do a commercial here, so I'll keep the product info to a minimum. You may be interested in a something I'm releasing soon. It's a full photographic studio with highly detailed light-stands and parented spots on the flash-heads. You can IM me for more details if you want. What I will say is that I ended up using spotlights for almost everything. Photographic light is usually very directional, and spots are good for that. The one thing IBL is great for is 'fill' lighting. I made 4 IBL lights for left/right/front fill and one for floor fill (used with a plexiglass platform to light from below). You can vary the intensity according to how much fill you need, and it works really well in conjunction with normal spots. The trick is to get the maps right. I found IBL to be extrememly sensitive and I did literally hundreds of renders with small variations on the maps to get them right. I used Olivier's excellent IBL template (free at RDNA). The flash-heads have a softbox body part, although of course, the actual lighting comes from a spot. I was a bit disappointed with Blur Radius to tell you the truth. Even at the maximum setting of 20, it's not as soft as I'd hoped, and anything between the default 2 and 10 barely makes a difference. mac