Forum: Fractals

Subject: 2007 "Fractal Universe" Calendar Choices

gumbykat opened this issue on Jun 19, 2005 ยท 17 posts

gumbykat posted Sun, 19 June 2005 at 5:31 PM

I know the fractal artists see this as a contest, but it's not. Avalanche Publishing is in it for the profit, period. It is a commercial venture for them, and they make the final choices. I want them to limit themselves to not more than one image per artist, so that there are 13 different artists represented in the calendar. They want to be free to chose the images that they think will profit them the most. Sometimes their biggest client, Barnes & Nobles as I understand it, makes some demands, too. So every year I settle for requesting that they not take more than 3 images from any one artist. That is, however, only a request. If we were paying the costs for the calendars, and marketing them ourselves, we could set limits. But we aren't and we can't. I do have to say that every year this comes up and every year I'm tempted to tell Avalanche that we won't be doing any more fractal calendars. I don't need the hassle. The process is very time consuming, and the only reason I do it is because I see it as a chance for some of the artists to see their work published. Otherwise, I'd contract with Avalanche to make a calendar with my 13 images, alone. I'm only speaking for myself here. Apologies to Panny if I've embarrassed her. You're a sweetie, Panny, and I really enjoy working with you! Linda