Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: RENDER ME THIS, RENDER ME THAT...........

dayjo opened this issue on Jun 25, 2005 ยท 32 posts

destro75 posted Sat, 25 June 2005 at 10:18 PM

Well, maybe the new 64Bit OS can support that memory, but what apps are going to run on the system? I think I read that EF is not supporting 64Bit in the near future, so it won't run on the system. Those 64Bit systems are great, if you are running an enterprise level server, otherwise, the software isn't available to run for you. (But once everyone goes 64Bit, can you imagine the things we will be able to do!) I am dying to purchase my first Xeon though. I was lucky enough to be working for a computer manufacturer when the Xeons were being sent out for evaluation. We built a system with a quad Xeon setup, I was totally in love... That does look like a nice setup though. Dare I even ask the total price tag on that? That PCIe is what I believe Blackhearted was discussing earlier, about the next generation of cards. It's not even so much as a core CPU change, it's a total bus change. I haven't looked into it enough, but I am greatly disturbed by it. When the industry went to AGP, it was supposed to be so that the video had its own channel to run on, and the only time you had cross-bus traffic was if you went over your RAM on the card. Now, they have moved it back to a shared bus. Now supposedly the bus is much faster, but then, why not just improve bus speed on AGP? Perhaps the computer industry is tired of simple upgraders? By changing the bus, basically you need a new board and CPU to take advantage. If you go that route, chances are you need new RAM as well. If you go that far, you may as well buy new. Ho-hum, screw the consumer again... On the subject of video cards, has anyone had any experience with the new SLI technology? From what I gather, it allows you to piggyback video cards to have more video processing power. I am curious about that one, and to me, that would be a good reason to upgrade. It can be daunting to go through all of the options available these days, but it can be fun. Imagine the true fun it would be if you had an unlimited budget to build a dream machine!