Forum: Community Center

Subject: Regarding the Renda Figure from RPublishing

tim opened this issue on Jun 29, 2005 ยท 208 posts

salvius posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 4:07 AM

"RTF encoding spells the death of a product." (Blackhearted).

Speaking as a pure consumer, not a producer, of marketplace items, I have to say: I don't agree with this statement. For example: Dodger's Aeon figures are all RTEncoded, but I have been more than happy to pay the prices to acquire them, because they add functionality beyond what I already own. They increase the usefulness of the Unimesh figures they are based on.

From everything I have seen, this is not true of Renda - Renda appears to be nothing more than a V3 clone, and I haven't seen anything that Renda can do better than V3, so I have no interest in paying for Renda, whether she's RTEncoded or not. While some segment of the potential market might indeed be frightened off by RTEncoding, I'm skeptical that this potential segment is larger than the potential market segment that avoids Renda simply because there's nothing that Renda does that can't also be done with V3 or other figures we already own, for free in many cases. In other words, forget the RTEncoding: What do I actually gain by purchasing Renda?