Forum: Community Center

Subject: Regarding the Renda Figure from RPublishing

tim opened this issue on Jun 29, 2005 ยท 208 posts

DCArt posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 11:04 AM

My feeling on that problem is this ... Renderosity takes 50% of a merchant's sales to just host the file? Hmmm ... that seems a bit excessive to me. For the same 50%, DAZ provides the tech support. But then, they also make sure that the files work before they put them in the store. But at Renderosity, we see an awful lot of bandwidth pushing through the system. And basically, what that means is that the popular items are paying for the bandwidth that is used up by having to dish out thumbnails and promo images for the items that don't sell a lot. To me, the following makes GOOD, SOUND business sense. Start focusing on quality instead of quantity. Phase out the items that are below a certain standard, and reject them if they don't meet an acceptable level. When you do, your bandwidth costs and testing costs start going down, and the quality of the items in your store goes up. And so will the sales. A store with 3000 quality items will sell more, and take less expense to run, than a store with the same 3000 quality items and 122,000 other items that only sell a maximum of ten. The 3000 good ones are paying for the costs of displaying the other 122,000 thumbnails and promo images. Aside from that, having to wade through the extra 122,000 thumbnails make the 3,000 quality ones MUCH harder to find. And I didn't even go to business school. ;-D