Forum: Community Center

Subject: Regarding the Renda Figure from RPublishing

tim opened this issue on Jun 29, 2005 ยท 208 posts

Eternl_Knight posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 10:41 PM

Actually - while the file itself can be copyrighted, certian parts of the data cannot be for various reasons. I have been dealing with several parties (one of them a copyright lawyer) on this very topic. To make a relevant example - it is not possible to copyright the "functional aspect" of an otherwise copyrightable item. It is also fair use to copy sections of a digital work for purposes of "compatibility". As such, copying joint parameters is allowed under copyright law alone. To prevent this, companies (such as DAZ) license their products in such a way that you waive those rights. Now you are quite correct that one can copyright an individual file. However, copyright law by itself allows me to make "fair use" of portions of it should it be needed for compatibility (e.g. for clothing), if the section in question is a purely "functional" aspect of the work (such as joint parameters), etc. That is why one NEEDS to have explicit terms in a license regarding the conditins under which a person may or may not copy parts of the digital product. This is not really a discussion for this thread, but like yourself, I dislike seeing incorrect or incomplete information regarding copyright spread to those that do not have access to all the facts. EK