Forum: Community Center

Subject: Regarding the Renda Figure from RPublishing

tim opened this issue on Jun 29, 2005 ยท 208 posts

DCArt posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 11:24 PM

I am sorry. I never post in discussions like these, but this disturbs me. The good ones are paying for the bad ones? Have looked in the market place? There are some awesome and excellent products that are paying for the bad ones, but there are also some really bad products that also sell, and some excellent products that don't sell. Helgard and Kendra, my apologies. I was not inferring that a product that sold less than 10 was "bad" in quality. But perhaps this example will explain what I was trying to say. Let's say 36 products go in the store on the same day. Each of those thumbnails is 15K in size, so each person that logs on and visits the marketplace downloads about a half a megabyte just to see what is new in the store that day. Let's say that we have 1800-2300 people on line here and they stay for an hour (this has to be in simple terms for purpose of example). During that hour, let's say that 20% of them are looking at what is new in the store. That's 360-460 people downloading a half a meg of thumbnails 180 to 230 megabytes of data just to deliver thumbnails in an hour. In four to five hours, you deliver a gigabyte. In one day, 6 gigabytes. In one month, 180 gigabytes. Just for thumbnails. It costs money to deliver that. Now from the merchant's standpoint, each is giving 50% of their sales price toward that bandwidth. Everyone donates the same cut, and everyone gets their product thumbnails shown to the same number of people. It seems fair. BUT .. the person who sold 100 copies is contributing more toward those bandwidth costs than the person who sold 10 copies. So from a business standpoint, it makes sense to try to select items that will sell more, so that operating and maintenance costs can trimmed to a reasonable level. Yes, you're right there is some "bad" stuff that sells. And there is some "good" stuff that doesn't sell as many. But then again, there are other things that there are far too many of and THAT may be why they aren't selling. Those are the items I was thinking of when I referenced things that only sold ten copies. It is HARD to decide the right balance. But we are looking at a site whose staff can't keep up with it; and at times the servers choke because they can't keep up with it. Starting to cut back on the number of items offered, along with raising the quality of the items offered, will really be better all around for this site. And better for the community. I hope that makes more sense now ... it's very hard to say everything that you are feeling in this medium. My apologies.