Forum: Community Center

Subject: Regarding the Renda Figure from RPublishing

tim opened this issue on Jun 29, 2005 ยท 208 posts

Jack D. Kammerer posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 3:11 PM

Ethesis, Actually, if I remember correctly, David is actually a cross between V3 and Stephanie Petite... Unlike AsShanim's character (which was based off of V3 to begin with), Renda was supposed to be a completely new and unique figure, built completely from scratch... unfortunately, during the creation process she was kinda stamped out of the same mold as V3 and then DAZ's Intellectual Property was used to make her work. Think of Renda being like a cookie... Renda was supposed to be a completely new cookie, and though it there are other chocolate chip cookies out there, Renda was suppose to be a unique recipe by Renderosity... However, during the creation process, the creators of Renda decided to create their cookie to be made in the same shape of DAZ's own cookie... already removing some of the uniqueness that Renderosity's cookie would've had, but then, when it came right down to making the cookie ediable, Renderosity decided to use the same (not so) "secret" cookie recipe that DAZ created for their cookie, packaged it and tried to sell a DAZ Brand cookie as their own. Almost like me taking a bag of Nabisco's Chip's Ahoy cookie, opening them up, sprinkling a little powder sugar on them and then putting them in a Jack's Sugar Chocolate Blast Cookie bag and selling them as my own brand of cookies... It isn't ethical and it is stealing, no two aways about it... and that is pretty much what just occurred with Renda. The fact that DAZ didn't slap Tim with a lawsuit and even took steps to work with Tim to correct this obvious theft is a testiment to DAZ's desire to work with those that would even entertain a notion of being competition to them (DAZ)... and, personally, I think Tim should be pretty relieved that he got away with it without being punished, unlike Mehndi who lost her position and website in this Community for stealing textures and claiming them as her own. I guess that is the difference between the majority of the Poser Community here and that of the Community on Poser Pros... over there an offense like stealing and trying to pass something off as their own to that Community is a Sin punishable by being ostrosized from the Community and no longer trusted... but over here, theft is seen as a mistake, forgiven... the person responsible is patted on the back for "coming clean", forgiven and allowed to continue their function and plans... As an "outsider" now, looking in on the Community, I look forward to see the new figure that is in works and see just how many people purchase and support a product from a company that has already tried to pass something off as their own that obviously wasn't... Jack