Forum: Community Center

Subject: "Veracity" in ART

billfrist opened this issue on Jul 14, 2005 ยท 27 posts

Armorbeast posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 3:03 PM

Actually the issue isn't your views on animal rights or not commenting,its to be accurate in your comment and to make sure you're correct before you post a comment.To assume that the image in question had even the faintest hint of beastiality in it is no different than assuming that because a woman smiles at you it justifys raping her.Your view was incorrect and insulting to the artist which you did not consider...if you had at least been correct in that beastiality were even hinted at then you would have a point and there would be no issue.But it becomes an issue when you comment on an image insinuating something as perverse as beastiality is implied by the artist when if you understand anything about art you would have been able to break the image down in your mind,realise how the characters were set and know you were wrong in your initial view on it. The issue here is that in the way you commented you invalidated yourself because nobody else would have seen it the way you initially did...it doesn't make the artist look bad,maybe insults them,but makes people wonder what you were thinking to have jumped to such a conclusion. We don't want you to make comments like this that aren't sound and extremely insulting to the artist...if there were even a hint of what you said in that image that might have been true I wouldn't have bothered to express my view as to how wrong you were to have expressed your observation.You have every right to comment,you have every right to be harsh in your criticism of art here...you do not have the right to be insulting to the degree that you were and had apologies been issued by yourself that seemed more genuine then maybe people would have reacted differently. To say these are my views and I apologise for expressing them does nothing in the way of apologising when you were wrong not in making a comment...but for the insulting manner of your comment aimed squarely at the artist essentially accusing her of making an image depicting desires of beastiality.How would you feel if by the voracity of your comment people assumed that you were into this stuff yourself???You'd be just as insulted as the artist was which is why your comment was removed...I just cannot understand how you could defend that comment or the fact you attacked the artist in such a way when absolutely no one but yourself would have seen bestiality depicted. All I can say is you owe the artist a sincere apology without the "its my view" part meaning you stand by your comment and think you were right about its content. Sorry Sandy...but accusing someone of making an image depicting beastiality and then acting like you're hurt because people say you crossed the line and were wrong for making a flawed,insulting remark is a bit much.Just cause it had a horse and a fantasy character doesn't make it beastiality and how this stretches to animal rights is beyond me save to justify an insulting comment.

If the end goal of learning is genius...why are most geniuses failures at learning?