Forum: Photography

Subject: 2 portraits of a drug addict

beekz opened this issue on Jul 14, 2005 ยท 29 posts

TomDart posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:37 PM

I totally agree with the posts #21,22,23. What seemed to me as "cold" was the very "clinical" approach, like this is "only #1 or #2 or whatever" and not a human being in dire straites, on the rocks and no redemption. A photo has tremendous power. These do. These did as seen by comments made. beekz, if you plan to do a photo story on this sad side of life it could have wonderful value. Let me know if you plan to do that. Approached that way or with even a tad of info about this person besides " an addict" would, in my little opinion, lessened much of the criticism. Then again, you are you, I am me, we are what we are and each feels individuallly. I support all sorts of artistic rights...we have to do that. Then the feeling of exploitation is repugnant, yes it is. With stated purpose and permission, this image becomes altogether a different beast. Sure, to ask which image is best or which could be improved is standard stuff here. That is what you did. Yet, the shock value was unaticipated by viewers whether planned or not. A word or two about the situation would possibly quench the flame on the fuse. That is my 2 cents worth, no more needed from here.