Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Creating Highly Detailed / Reproduction Military Uniforms

macmullin opened this issue on Jul 27, 2005 ยท 23 posts

macmullin posted Fri, 29 July 2005 at 6:59 AM

Attached Link: Battle of Britian Reenacting Forum Images

The Sidecot Suit developed in the early 1930s was made of a rubberized like canvas but were the same in basic appearance through the years as far as I know.

The 1940 and 1941 patterns were exactly the same - made of a heavy canvas, front zipper, removable fur like collar and inner kapok liner. The only difference was the 1941 pattern had an electric D Type personal heating. This was the last model of the sidcot to be manufactured by the RAF. I do believe the RAAF had their version of the sidcot as well - I know of one version with off set side button front.

In regards to the belt - I am not sure. It may have came with the suit but I am not aware. A "Rigger" perhaps may have made one for him, or this item could be a just a private purchase.

Pilots during these times did not use just issued items. German fighter pilots purchased allot of their own items and stole from the Allies - wearing a RAF Sidcot was a real prized trophy item. I would have to look into it further down the road.

I have provided a link to a reenactors forum that have a few pictures that should interest most BOB lovers.