Forum: Animation

Subject: 2 new animations by ajvelez

ajvelez opened this issue on Aug 20, 2005 ยท 15 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Mon, 29 August 2005 at 10:17 PM

"Are you finding it easier to animate the characters in Maya than in Poser?"

Bob, I can't speak for Maya, but I've been rigging Poser human figures with CharacterStudio Biped skeletons in 3dsmax 7 recently for animation purposes, and find it MUCH easier than working in Poser, with better results. The Quaternion-based function curves mean no more "overshoot" or gimbal lock to worry about, so there's not as much tweaking required when you keyframe motion, or edit a motion file. Poser does have Quaternion-based function curve option as well, but it doesn't seem to work as cleanly as this. The non-linear animation mixer in CS makes for really complex motions in no time; motion sequences that would have taken me perhaps a couple days to perfect in Poser, I can do now in hours or less. Also, the "footstep" mode in CS is just a pleasure to use, compared to "walk designer" in Poser. ;-)

On the other hand, Poser is still much easier for some things due to the vast amount of pre-fab content you can build from, and Poser's simplified curves graph and dope sheet, although perhaps not as powerful, is much more convenient to work with.

Message edited on: 08/29/2005 22:20

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.